“As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another.” 1 Peter 4:10
We seek to give artists and musicians opportunities to grow in their artistic discipleship within our church and community. The music at Ascension encompasses a broad spectrum of styles and cultures, from classical anthems and traditional hymnody to contemporary songs and those written by members of the parish. In addition to music, we seek to help artists use their gifts to express that which words alone cannot. To quote Francis Schaeffer, we believe that “art can be a doxology in itself.”
SPOTIFY PLAYLIST! Want to listen to music from our repertoire and other songs throughout the week? We have several Spotify playlists that change for each liturgical season. Click the picture for our most current Ascension Spotify Playlist. We hope that these songs will provide a soundtrack to reorient our hearts and minds to the Lord beyond Sunday morning.
Church of the Ascension partners with the global organization United Adoration (UA) in order to empower artists in a healthy, Christ-centered creative community. For more information about upcoming events, email Elise Massa or visit UA’s website.
Looking to Serve through the Arts?
There are various ways of serving within the Music and Worship Arts Ministry: during Sunday services, special events and services, and through partnerships with other ministries and organizations. We’re always open to hearing new ways of incorporating the arts into the common life of the church. Current areas of opportunity include:
- Worship Arts: Artists of various disciplines — visual, performing, and literary — are welcome to participate in the worship and life of the Ascension community. Artists should be technically proficient, honest in their craft and expression, and seek to reflect a biblical worldview through their work. Opportunities have included The Stations of the Cross, Sunday bulletin covers, dramatic interpretations of Scripture, and United Adoration arts retreats. Contact either Chris Massa or Elise Massa for more information.
- Tech Team: Our Tech Team (Sound & Video) is in integral part of our ministry to provide hospitality to our worshippers whether worshipping with us in person or via livestream (and peace of mind to our ministry participants!). The team includes sound board technicians, videographers, and those who advance the slides for song lyrics and liturgy. Responsibilities include “on the job” training with tenured leaders/volunteers, and set up/tear down of some equipment for outdoor services. This is a great ministry for those who enjoy and understand technology and those who enjoy serving in a more “behind the scenes” capacity. To serve on the sound team, contact John Dellape. To serve with our video/livestream, contact Benn Wilson.
- Music Team: The music team leads music at both the current 9am and 11am services. Sharing a commitment to both spiritual and musical proficiency, instrumentalists and vocalists of various ages and experience levels are welcome. We currently practice on Wednesday evenings (7-9) to prepare for Sunday services. Contact either Chris Massa or Elise Massa for more information.
- Adult Choir: The choir is a faithful, intergenerational group of singers who meet together on Thursday nights to prepare music for our 11am service. Members range from professional musicians to those who neither sight read nor have much choral experience. Contact Chris Massa for more information.
- Children’s Choir: The Children’s Choir works closely with both the Music & Worship Arts Ministry and Children’s Ministry. Our children lead us in worship at various services throughout the year. Do you have a child age 5 through 5th grade? Contact the director Jane Banfield Hicks for more information.
- The Ascension Songwriters Collaborative connects Ascension-based songwriters of all skill levels to one another in order to write new songs for the glory of God and the edification of the church. ASC members have written many songs that are incorporated into our worship to testify to the work that the Lord is doing among our particular community. Are you a songwriter interested in creative, collaborative community? Contact Elise Massa.
- Special Music: Vocalists and instrumentalists of all ages, particularly those with a desire to serve but limited availability, are welcome to serve in worship services at Ascension. Contact either Chris Massa.
Contacts for Music & Worship Arts