At Church of the Ascension, we believe that artists of all disciplines are called to use their gifts to bless the world, edify the church, and give a foretaste of the Kingdom of God. We strive to empower all people to worship the Lord through a diverse musical repertoire and varied artistic expressions. Connect with us on Facebook, or visit here to see previous artistic initiatives and artists who call Ascension their home.
Whether you are used to singing solos, play a banjo, or are looking to serve in the choir, we currently have open spaces for all those inclined to worship the Lord musically. Contact the respective ministry leader below. We’d love to connect with you!
During our Ash Wednesday service, members of our congregation broke pottery as a sign of their own broken humanity. On Easter Sunday, artist Anne Melnyk presented the Easter mosaic using those very pieces.
We serve a God of resurrection. We are a people of resurrection. May we practice resurrection, walking in the resurrected way, knowing that Jesus is making all things new (Revelation 21:5)
We believe that music is part of our church’s spiritual formation. Therefore, we’ve put together a Spotify playlist which includes songs that we sing, as well as a few others to guide us through the Eastertide season. Carry these songs with you beyond Sunday morning and into the world that the Lord has given you to love and serve as faithful witness of Jesus Christ. (artwork by Amy Foster)
Want to serve through the arts?
To request more information, either contact one of the people below, fill out this form or use the button at the bottom of the page.
- Worship Arts: We love integrating the whole of the arts into the common life of our church. Opportunities include The Stations of the Cross, bulletin design, dramatic readings of Scripture, and art series. Contact either Chris Massa or Elise Massa for more information.
- Tech Team: Our sound techs and videographers are an integral part of our in-person and livestream worship. We provide “on the job” training with tenured leaders/volunteers. Contact John Dellape (sound team) or Benn Carlucci (video team).
- Music Team: The music team leads music at both the current 9am and 11am services. Our style is most closely linked to acoustic modern or folk. All ages and experience levels are welcome. Contact either Chris Massa or Elise Massa for more information.
- Adult Choir: The choir is a faithful, intergenerational group of singers who meet together on Thursday nights to prepare music for our 11am service. Members range from professional musicians to those who neither sight read nor have much choral experience. Contact Chris Massa for more information.
- Children’s Choir: The Children’s Choir works closely with both the Music & Worship Arts Ministry and Children’s Ministry. Our children lead us in worship at various services throughout the year. Do you have a child age 5 through 5th grade? Contact the director Jane Banfield Hicks for more information.
- The Ascension Songwriters Collaborative Are you a songwriter interested in creative, collaborative community? Contact Elise Massa. We love incorporating homegrown songs into our worship!
- Special Music: Can’t commit to a monthly schedule, but still want to serve? Contact Chris Massa about our preludes or special services!
Chris Massa, Director of Music and Worship Arts
Elise Massa, Assistant Director of Music and Worship Arts