“As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another.” 1 Peter 4:10
We seek to give artists and musicians opportunities to grow in their artistic discipleship within our church and community. The music at Ascension encompasses a broad spectrum of styles and cultures, from classical anthems and traditional hymnody to contemporary songs and those written by members of the parish. In addition to music, we seek to help artists their gifts to express that which words alone cannot. To quote Francis Schaeffer, we believe that “art can be a doxology in itself.”
Current Arts Engagement
Mark your calendars for our first Worship Arts Series under the tent! Come and see how the Lord weaves together art and faith on common mission! Join us for food trucks, an arts festival and artists’ roundtable presentations and discussion. Artists including songwriters, poets, visual artists, composers, and more! Invite your friends! Our topics include JUSTICE (June 28th), MERCY (July 26th), and HUMILITY (August 30th). Food trucks arrive at 5:30pm and the evening ends around 8:30pm.
Are you an artist at Ascension interested in selling your work as part of the festival? Contact Elise Massa by June 15th for more information!
Want to listen to music from our repertoire and other songs during the church season? Click the picture for our Ascension Spotify Playlist. We hope that these songs will provide a soundtrack to reorient our hearts and minds to the Lord throughout the week.
Church of the Ascension partners with the global organization United Adoration (UA) in order to empower artists in a healthy, Christ-centered creative community. For more information about upcoming events, email Elise Massa or visit UA’s website.
Looking to serve through the arts?
There are various ways of serving within the Music and Worship Arts Ministry: during Sunday services, special events and services, and through partnerships with other ministries and organizations. We’re always open to hearing new ways of incorporating the arts into the common life of the church. Current areas of opportunity include:
- Worship Arts: Artists of various disciplines — visual, performing, and literary — are welcome to participate in the worship and life of the Ascension community. Artists should be technically proficient, honest in their craft and expression, and seek to reflect a biblical worldview through their work. Opportunities have included The Stations of the Cross, Sunday bulletins, dramatic interpretations of Scripture, and United Adoration Worship Arts Retreats. Contact either Chris Massa or Elise Massa for more information.
- Tech Team: Our Tech Team is in integral part of our ministry to provide hospitality to our worshippers whether worshipping with us in person or via livestream (and peace of mind to our ministry participants!). The team includes sound board technicians, videographers, and those who advance the slides for song lyrics and liturgy. Responsibilities include “on the job” training with tenured leaders/volunteers, and set up/tear down of some equipment for outdoor services. This is a great ministry for those who enjoy and understand technology and those who enjoy serving in a more “behind the scenes” capacity.
- Music Team: The music team leads music at both the current 9am and 11am outdoor services. Sharing a commitment to both spiritual and musical proficiency, instrumentalists and vocalists of various ages and experience levels are welcome. We currently practice on Saturday mornings to prepare for Sunday services.
- Adult Choir: The choir is a faithful, intergenerational group of singers who meet together on Thursday nights to prepare music for our 10am recorded and 11am outdoor tent worship service. Members range from professional musicians to those who neither sight read nor have much choral experience. Contact Chris Massa for more information.
- Children’s Choir: The Children’s Choir works closely with both the Music & Worship Arts Ministry and Children’s Ministry. Our children lead us in worship at various services throughout the year. Do you have a child age 5 through 5th grade? Contact the director Jane Banfield Hicks for more information.
- The Ascension Songwriters Collaborative connects Ascension-based songwriters of all skill levels to one another in order to write new songs for the glory of God and the edification of the church. ASC members have written many songs that are incorporated into our worship to testify to the work that the Lord is doing among our particular community. Are you a songwriter interested in creative, collaborative community? Contact Elise Massa.
- Special Music: Vocalists and instrumentalists of all ages, particularly those with a desire to serve but limited availability, are welcome to serve in worship services at Ascension.
Visit our extended website here to see previous arts initiatives as well as our communion of artists who call Ascension their home.
Contacts for Music Ministry