“As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another.” 1 Peter 4:10
At Church of the Ascension, we believe that artists of all disciplines are called to use their gifts to bless the world, edify the church, and give a foretaste of the Kingdom of God. We strive to empower all people to worship the Lord through a diverse musical repertoire and varied artistic expressions. To learn more, visit our extended website to see previous artistic initiatives and artists who call Ascension their home.
Announcements & Upcoming Events
Join our May 21st Ordination Pick-Up Choir!
Ascension is forming a choir for our upcoming ordination (May 21st @ 2pm) that will sing music across the genres of hymnody, contemporary songs, and gospel. To better understand the gospel style, we are excited to partner with Alton Mitchell, Minister of Worship Arts at Rodman Street Missionary Baptist Church. We will have one rehearsal on Thursday May 12 from 7-8pm. Please email Ascension’s Director of Music & Worship Arts Chris Massa (chris.massa@
SAVE THE DATE! Pittsburgh Multi-Art Retreat, July 10-11th!
Ascension partners with United Adoration, a non-profit organization that seeks to empower local artists in their local church and community. Register now for their next Pittsburgh Multi-Art Retreat, hosted at St. Stephen’s Sewickley. This retreat is open to artists across Pittsburgh, ages, and disciplines – dance, creative writing, songwriting, visual art, and more! $49 covers meals. Come create new works of art unto the Lord, or spend extended time with the Father so that he can do a new work in you! Register here, or contact Elise Massa with questions.
Kids! Come lead us in worship!
We love it when our children lead our congregation in worship. We’ve already started our rehearsals for our May song “Knowing You,” but you can STILL join us! Contact Jane Banfield Hicks for more info!
Easter Spotify Playlist
We believe that music is part of the church’s spiritual formation. Therefore, we’ve put together a Spotify playlist which includes songs that we sing, as well as a few others to guide us through this Easter season.
Glass Hallway Gallery: “The Way of the Cross”
We had an overwhelming response from artists who desired to make stations for our Good Friday Stations of the Cross observance. Therefore, we created the Glass Hallway Gallery called “The Way of the Cross.” These pieces of art, including our 2022 Stations of the Cross, will remain in our glass hallway throughout Eastertide. Aren’t able to see the artwork in person? Our Stations of the Cross can be viewed here.
Want to serve through the arts?
- Worship Arts: We love integrating the whole of the arts into the common life of our church. Opportunities include The Stations of the Cross, bulletin design, dramatic readings of Scripture, and art series. Contact either Chris Massa or Elise Massa for more information.
- Tech Team: Our sound techs and videographers are an integral part of our in-person and livestream worship. We provide “on the job” training with tenured leaders/volunteers. Contact John Dellape (sound team) or Benn Carlucci (video team).
- Music Team: The music team leads music at both the current 9am and 11am services. Our style is most closely linked to acoustic modern or folk. All ages and experience levels are welcome. Contact either Chris Massa or Elise Massa for more information.
- Adult Choir: The choir is a faithful, intergenerational group of singers who meet together on Thursday nights to prepare music for our 11am service. Members range from professional musicians to those who neither sight read nor have much choral experience. Contact Chris Massa for more information.
- Children’s Choir: The Children’s Choir works closely with both the Music & Worship Arts Ministry and Children’s Ministry. Our children lead us in worship at various services throughout the year. Do you have a child age 5 through 5th grade? Contact the director Jane Banfield Hicks for more information.
- The Ascension Songwriters Collaborative Are you a songwriter interested in creative, collaborative community? Contact Elise Massa. We love incorporating homegrown songs into our worship!
- Special Music: Can’t commit to a monthly schedule, but still want to serve? Contact Chris Massa about our preludes or special services!
To request more information, fill out this form.
Contacts for Music & Worship Arts