January 7, 2018 all-day
Epiphany 1: The Baptism of Our Lord (Mark 1:7-11)
Is 42:1-9; Ps 89:1-29 or 89:20-29; Acts 10:34-38; Mark 1:7-11
Week 1 – “Being precedes doing”
- John proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me…” (Mark 1:7)
- How was Jesus’ power made manifest? (Consider in particular Sunday’s reading from Isaiah 42:1-9)
- John taught that “[Jesus] will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” (Mark 1:8)
- What is baptism in the Holy Spirit?
- How does a person get baptized in the Holy Spirit?
- What, if any, are your experiences of this?
- Jesus was baptized by John (Mark 1:9)
- Why do you think Jesus was baptized?
- At Jesus’s baptism, ‘A voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”’ (Mark 1:10-11)
- In what ways does “Being” precede “Doing”?
- Is this true in your life?
- Do you think of yourself as “Beloved”?