Church of the Ascension is actively engaged in a search for a half-time Assistant Rector whose focus is Congregational Care and Prayer Ministry. To apply, please email Ascension’s Director of Administration, Karen Gowdy, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Job details are as follows:
Job Description – Assistant Rector (Half-time) – October 2018
Church of the Ascension is seeking to appoint an experienced priest to join the Rector and Associate Rector in leading a strong staff team and congregation in the next phase of the life, ministry and growth of this strategic ACNA parish in the Anglican Diocese of Pittsburgh. The person appointed will need to embrace and model the three streams of Anglicanism that characterize Church of the Ascension, namely: Evangelical, Charismatic and Catholic.
We expect to discover whom God is calling to this position by prayerful consideration of the character, competence and chemistry of potential candidates:
The ideal candidate will be a person who is:
- Healthy – emotionally and spiritually. A hard worker who is willing to go the extra mile, but who also understands boundaries and the need for self-care and Sabbath rest.
- Tried and Tested in her/his life and ministry, with a clear understanding of God’s grace and daily dependence upon the Holy Spirit for the empowerment of her/his ministry;
- Listens to God and is faithful in his/her own devotional life of prayer, meditation and study.
The ideal candidate will be gifted and competent as a:
- Leader and a developer of leaders who will be able to serve as a strong member of the clergy and lay leadership team; We are also seeking someone who has a good track record of discerning and raising up lay leaders and equipping them for service.
- Pastor who will be able to work collaboratively with other clergy and those already involved in Prayer and Congregational Care.
- Teacher and Discipler who has a heart for teaching and training others, modeling Christian discipleship in his/her own life as she/he supervises, coordinates, trains and inspires a growing number of lay people to come to “know Jesus more clearly, love Jesus more dearly, follow Jesus more nearly” and be equipped to enable others to do likewise.
- Overseer who will be able to serve effectively as an executive manager/administrator to inspire, encourage, challenge, direct, and manage those who will report to her/him.
- Preacher who is able faithfully and effectively to expound the Scriptures to a congregation of 450+ people. The present congregation spans a wide spectrum, ranging from those who are not yet Christians to those who are seminary professors. The congregation also comprises an unusually high concentration of highly educated people. (Opportunities for Sunday morning preaching will be limited, given the focus of this position and that it is a half-time appointment.)
- Finisher – someone who can take charge of a project and see it through to completion in a timely manner
The ideal candidate will be a:
- Team Player who will be able to develop a good working rapport with the rector, staff team, vestry and congregation. We are committed to building a synergistic team of ordained and lay leaders at Ascension.
- People Person (whether an introvert or an extrovert) with a sense of humor who likes to have fun and enjoys his/her vocation.
- Real and Honest person who will speak the truth in love and keep short accounts with others.
The following is intended to highlight the main areas of work and responsibility:
- The Assistant Rector will provide exceptional pastoral leadership in the areas of Prayer and Congregational Care. Specifically, the Assistant Rector will raise up lay leaders for the Church with special responsibility to identify, equip, deploy and provide ongoing support to leaders in the following two areas of ministry:
Congregational Care Ministries, including: Visitation and Pastoral Counseling, Use of App for assigning and tracking pastoral care needs, Lay Eucharistic Ministers, Meal Ministries (for families of newborns and those who are sick), The Workshop (Professional Counseling services), Chaplaincy to Ministry Teams, Spiritual Directors.
Prayer Ministries, including: Intercessory Prayer, Prayers of the People, Altar Prayer Ministry, Prayer Appointments, Soaking Prayer Ministry, Prayer Practicums, and Prayer Meetings.
- The Assistant Rector will report to the rector, while serving as a colleague with the Rector and staff team at Church of the Ascension and will perform all such duties and services as may reasonably be directed from time to time by the Rector.
- The Assistant Rector will undertake some regular liturgical, pastoral, preaching and teaching ministry at the direction of the Rector and upon his or her own initiative as may, where necessary, be agreed upon by the Rector.
- The Assistant Rector will, of course, bring her /his own unique personality and gifting to this position. We desire, therefore, to be somewhat flexible and open to discerning ways that the particular gifts and passions of the new Assistant can be used so that she/he will thrive and flourish for the sake of the Gospel and for the building up of the Kingdom of God.
We would like the new Assistant to be in post in early 2019. Precise start date may be negotiated.
Salary & Business Expenses
A salary package will be provided commensurate with the experience of the successful candidate. Reimbursement of professional business expenses and a discretionary fund will also be provided.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience
The successful candidate will be an Anglican Priest with at least five years of ministry experience and a strong record of effective pastoral leadership. The candidate will have an M.Div. (and/or other advance theological training) and be skilled in developing leaders. Advanced pastoral care training such as CPE certification or residency and/or in Spiritual Direction, together with knowledge and experience in leading prayer and pastoral ministries would be advantageous.
Candidates are asked to provide:
- A letter of interest setting out why she/he is exploring whether God may be calling her/him to Church of the Ascension at this time, how she/he see her/his gifts and experience dovetailing with this job description, and how she/he has developed, overseen and managed leaders in the past.
- A current resume.
- Names of three references: including, at least, one personal and one professional.